How to Be a Bad Client

by Scott Allen - June 1, 2009
Filed Under Humor, Random

Everyone who has taken on clients either as a consultant or in a firm setting will be able to relate to this hilarious video about vendor-client relationships. It had me laughing so hard that I had to share it.

The Vendor-Client Relationship – In Real World Situations

YouTube Preview Image

All I can say is, this nailed it. :)

Most of the clients we work with are fantastic and would never do this. And there’s of course the fact that we won’t take on a client like this.

If you’re considering hiring a firm for marketing, design, or any other kind of consulting, consider how you might treat them. Make sure you’ve budgeted properly and aren’t expecting to get champagne on a beer budget. Your website and marketing projects are worth investing in. The legit firms and independent consultants out there put a lot of hard work and expertise into serving you. Of course there are shysters out there, but dealing with them is simple – just don’t hire them! :)

So, do you have any stories like this?

hostgator web hosting affordable fast reliable servers: How to Be a Bad Client random humor

sb 468x60: How to Be a Bad Client random humor

Submit Your Site to Best of the Web!

Comments

11 Responses to “How to Be a Bad Client”

1. Ed Coyne on June 1st, 2009 3:29 pm

Excellent video. Good find, good interpretation. Luckily, I don’t have a whole lot of experience with these types of clients. At least now I’ll see it coming.

2. Scott Allen on June 2nd, 2009 12:41 pm

@Ed: I’m glad I found this video. :) Thanks! Glad you don’t have any clients like that!

3. Second opinions please - WebProWorld on June 13th, 2009 1:15 am

[...] I think this video may help you out: How to Be a Bad Client | WebGeek [...]

4. Guy on June 25th, 2009 3:19 pm

Oh heck yeah. Here’s what I get all the time. “This website is going to make a LOT of money. Just build it for free and I’ll give you a cut on the revenues.” Yeah, beat it. Because building an ecommerce website is only like maybe 14 minutes worth of work. Whatever.

5. Scott Allen on June 25th, 2009 3:38 pm

@Guy: Yep, I’ve heard that more than a few times. :)

6. Scott Allen on June 25th, 2009 4:27 pm

@Ed: LOL, exactly. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard that exact type of thinking. It’s too bad that people don’t realize they need a business plan, and that they need to invest in their website development and marketing in order for it to make any kind of profit. Just because we build it doesn’t mean “they will come” and success doesn’t magically appear out of thin air.

7. Ed Coyne on June 25th, 2009 4:09 pm

All you really need is a domain name and your buddy to put a few pages up. After that, you should be jumping up and down, with fistfuls of cash, screaming “YIPPEE!”.

If anyone tells you their website “is going to make a LOT of money”, start your stopwatch. It won’t be long before they realize the $8 domain registration fee was a complete waste.

8. Jay on June 25th, 2009 8:59 pm

Every day I see just this type of “dickering” on craigslist (including this video!). Thanks for such a great look at how we, as prospective hires, really feel and would like this clever way of conveying that feeling.

9. Harmony on July 31st, 2009 5:01 pm

OMG – I can soooo relate – because I’m way too softhearted! I should have watched this video a week ago LOL.Thanks for sharing. :-)

10. James on August 5th, 2009 8:26 am

Ha Ha! Thats was very funny! I think it is the way the people believe what they are requesting is perfectly reasonable!

Unfortunately it is often the case you have started to work with someone before you realise this is their thinking!

Thank you for making me laugh, i will post a link to your site from mine.

11. Kirstin on October 6th, 2009 6:54 pm

This is so PERFECT. I am an interior designer and run into these exact same people! I’m battling one woman right now who agreed to the contract, wasted my time doing work outside of the contract with the understanding that I was still charging her. The work was completed, I sent her an invoice and she wrote back indicating that “she didn’t feel that she owed me anything” because we “didn’t complete the work she originally hired me to do and that her budget was now all used up.” Best part is, she’s a lawyer. You just can’t make this stuff up, I swear!