by Scott Allen - December 19, 2007
Filed Under Blogging
Improved Technorati Authority can contribute to increased visibility, traffic, and reputation in the blogosphere. Technorati rates your Authority based on the number of blogs that it detects linking to yours in the last six months. It lists these sites as “blog reactions”. This list is automatically assembled from the sites that ping Technorati.
You may not be getting the full authority you deserve, because not all blogs are configured to ping Technorati, and sometimes it just misses a few links here and there. Well, there happens to be a little technique to help maximize your Technorati Authority. It might not cause your authority to spike upwards, or an immediate surge in traffic, but in competitive markets, every little advantage helps. Remember, that each additional eye on your site is a potential linker, and that can lead to increased traffic and rankings.
Here’s how it works.
Step 1: Find Other Blogs Linking to Yours That Technorati Doesn’t Know About
- Start with Google Blog Search, with a “link:” query — “link:http://www.yourblogdomain.com/” — the url of your blog. It won’t show all the links to your site (usually just recent ones from other blogs), but it’s a good place to start.
For example, a “link:” query for the WebGeek blog would look like this.
If you really want to be slick, automate the process by signing up for the RSS feed or Google Alerts provided on the results page.
- The search engine results will list the blogs that mention your blog. Scan the results, and click on the links to find sites that haven’t shown up in the list of blog reactions on Technorati.
- Create a list. When you find one that hasn’t shown up in Technorati, add it to the list.
- After that, do Google and Yahoo web searches for either your blog’s url or a unique identifying phrase that other blogs would use to reference yours.
- Repeat #2.
Step 2: Manually Ping Technorati
- After you have created a list of sites that Technorati hasn’t discovered, you need to go to the manual ping page.
- One by one, enter the urls that link to your site, and submit.
- It won’t show up right away, but in an hour or two, the blog reactions list will contain some of the urls you discovered. The next day, your authority score will be adjusted to include the new links.
Why Does This Work?
Manually pinging Technorati would be like letting Google or Yahoo know that you have more backlinks that they haven’t discovered yet.
How To Get Higher Authority on Technorati
- Lorelle points out 10 great Technorati tips.
- More great Technorati tips.